32 bar Jig for 3 couples in a 4-couple set
|1-2||1st and 2nd couple set with nearer hands joined.|
|3-4||Releasing hands, 1st couple cast into 2nd place while 2nd couple dance in and up then, turning away from each other, curve into 1st place.|
|5-8||1st couple dance down the middle between 3rd couple and cast into 2nd place on own side.|
|9-12||1st couple cross up to dance half reels on opposite sides with their corners, 1st woman passing 2nd man by the left shoulder and 1st man passing 2nd woman by the right shoulder (a.k.a. mirror reels").|
|13-16||On bar 13, 1st couple cross down and dance half reels on own sides. The reels finish with 1st couple in the middle of the set in 2nd place, both pulling back their shoulders, turning toward the bottom of the set to finish back to back facing their own side.2|
|17-24||2nd, 1st and 3rd couples dance double triangles.|
|25-32||2nd, 1st, and 3rd couples circle six hands round and back.|
|Repeat from progressed position|
Devised 2009 by Gary Lindsey (gary.lindsey [at] sbcglobal.net)
Bars 9 - 16 Quaternary Knot: Basically a crossover mirrored reel of three with 1st couple crossing at the top and bottom. From their starting position, they are dancing a diagonal oval around the couple above then the couple below while 2nd and 3rd couples dance a mirror reel on the side.
Bars 13-16: The turn to finish back to back is an excellent opportunity for good eye contact with your partner. 2nd and 3rd couples can finish the reels the long way into place ready for double triangles
A few meaning possibilities of your Quaternary knot design:
- Indication of the four directions: North, South, East, West.
- Indication of the four seasons.
- Indication of the four great treasures of the Tuatha
- A more modern indication of the four Latin Gospels in the Book of Kells
- Indication of the four elements: Earth, Fire, Water, Air
- Indication of the four Celtic fire festivals, Samhain, Beltane, Imbolc, Lughnasadh.
- An emblem of Brigid, also known as the Queen of the Four Fires a she demonstrates her four-branched wisdom of hand, hearth, head and heart.
Comment from: Mary Quinton [Visitor]
I like the idea of the Quaternary knot reels.
The first four bars of the dance though, are virtually identical to mirror set and link if one held on a little longer.I just feel this might be a slightly neater effect? Only a thought.
Form is loading...